Pages

July 02, 2013

Mouth Health Revisited

Like I've said before, I haven't used commercial toothpaste in over 2 months, instead I get rid of bacteria through an ancient therapy called oil pulling (read my post here). However, I quickly became aware of the fact that coconut oil isn't the only thing that my mouth needs. Using just the oil pulling technique left me waking up with dry mouth. And I really began missing that peppermint fresh taste first thing in the morning or before bed after a salty snack. Enter an all natural tooth soap made by US company Rose of Sharon Acres. Ever wondered what kind of tooth cleaning options are out there besides sweetened and abrasive toothpaste?


Photo credit goes to Rose of Sharon Acres
Meet Tooth Chips Spritz - Liquid Soap for Your Pearly Whites with Neem Bark.What's it like? Let me tell you.



Tooth Chips Spritz is a liquid tooth soap, that gives a very clean feeling without tasting like soap. It comes in a "spritz" bottle so its very easy to get only 2-3 drops on your toothbrush. That really is all you need! It foams up like commercial toothpaste, cleans thoroughly, and gives you very slick teeth (which feels great after using only coconut oil!). The liquid is a brownish color, but it doesn't stain and doesn't stay brown for long. Rose of Sharon Acres says to rinse three times afterwards and I haven't tested what happens if I don't. :)

Here's my top 5 reasons I love this tooth cleanser.

1. No Glycerin
Did you know regular toothpaste has glycerin in it which coats your teeth? This prevents your own saliva from coating your teeth, working as a natural antibacterial agent, and using a process that actually remineralizes the enamel of your teeth (source). Spit is as natural as you can get. Tooth Chips Spritz cleans your teeth naturally and efficiently to provide a clean surface on your enamel so that your saliva can do its job. As a result, the smoothest teeth you'll ever have outside of a dental hygienist's office.

2. All Natural Ingredients
No sulphates, fluoride, harsh abrasives, or artificial sweeteners. But what is in it? Saponified Organic oils of Olive, Coconut, and Jojoba, Organic Guar Gum Extract, Xylitol, Organic Aloe Vera, Neem Bark,Rosemary Extract, Essential Oils.

3. Sweetened with Xylitol
Xylitol is a plant sourced sweetener, roughly as sweet as sucrose. This calorie free, natural sweetener actually has important dental hygiene properties that reduce cavities and promote remineralization. Obviously, remineralization is important to me. And should be to you too! Losing the minerals of your enamel is a big deal as it leads to decay, oversensitivity to hot and cold temperatures, and badly stained teeth. If you want to keep your teeth around for awhile, take care of your enamel. 

4. Made with Neem Bark
To be honest, I actually haven't researched what neem bark is used for until I read a neem bark supplement label at a health food store today. Apparently I really trust the makers of this tooth soap, and my mother who recommended this brand to me. Neem bark has been used for centuries in medicine to treat a wide variety of diseases including gum disease. The makers of this tooth soap mention that the bark has gum tissue tightening properties, and I certainly agree with this. My gums are shorter and firmer and have a healthier color than before. The information I found here also claims that neem can cause miscarriages and has even been used purposefully as a contraceptive. There may be some inherent risk of miscarriage associated with neem bark but I believe it would have to come from a high quantity of ingested neem, perhaps the neem oil rather than the bark, since the oil of any plant is the most potent. If its a burden on your own concience though, Rose of Sharon Acres makes Tooth Chips Spritz that is neem bark free (find it here).

5. No Dry Mouth plus Minty Freshness
Unlike when I was using coconut oil exclusively, this tooth soap does not bring about any dry mouth. Plus, the peppermint oil in it keeps my mouth minty fresh. :)

All in all, I am very pleased with this product and hope you'll give it a try.

What has been your experience with natural toothpaste?




No comments:

Post a Comment