Pages

June 30, 2013

This is What Happens When I Read...


This may seem a bit out of place with the flow of the rest of my blog, but hear me out. I just finished a book. And, as is usually the case with me whenever I finish reading a book, I am filled with passion for whatever cause the book elevated. Thus, this blog is now becoming the means by which I can share this passion with others. You're welcome. :)

The book I finished is called One Glorious Ambition: The Compassionate Crusade of Dorothea Dix by Jane Kirkpatrick (WaterBrook Press, 2013). Miss Dix never married. Which is the reason I chose this book to read out of the 30-some others lining various shelves, dresser drawers and boxes in my possession. I am getting rather tired of flighty, overly dramatic, unrealistically romantic, airhead fiction readers dominating the book world today. One Glorious Ambition is unlike anything I have ever read before. It is a historically accurate fictional portrayal of the life of Dorothea L. Dix, a female reformer for the rights of moral treatment for the "indigent insane", living in the late 1800s. Remarkable! She remained a proper New England lady all the while she campaigned in Congress and traveled the country, writing surveys and depictions of inhumane treatment of those relieved of their reason. Her hands on approach was revolutionary and awe-inspiring. Astounding! She even continued her life's work in Scotland and parts of Europe. Incredible!

I highly recommend this book for anyone looking for a change of pace, something to make them stop and think, or a reason to sit and contemplate their purpose in life. Miss Dix overcame bleak beginnings to live with purpose. She truly is an incredible woman worthy of study, and Jane Kirkpatrick's novel is wonderfully written and a great place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment