Pages

June 10, 2013

No More TOOTHPASTE?!?!?

That's right, you read it first here. I haven't used commercially made toothpaste for over a month. And let me tell you, it has been wonderful. 

As you can see, we have one main jar for the family and each member has their own small container. 


 A while ago my mother had shared with me some information about what is actually inside a tube of toothpaste and, being an independent and slightly impetuous teenager, I brushed it aside saying, "If it makes my breath fresh and teeth white then I am fine with it." Basically what I was really declaring was that what I don't know won't hurt me so don't talk to me about it. 

Of course my mother is right. Duh! A truly harmful chemical called sodium lauryl sulphate is used in just about every toothpaste... as well as shampoos, detergents, etc. (Since this post is not about SLS exclusively, you can check out this website for full disclosure on the stuff). What else is in toothpaste that I am on a revolt against? Sweeteners. Most toothpastes have aspartame (which is a banned substance in most countries outside of the US) or sodium saccharin (commonly known as Sweet n' Low) to make the paste taste good. Everyone knows what sweeteners do to your teeth so why was I rubbing it all over the inside of my mouth?


 

Next on the list of teeth harming ingredients are abrasives. This is somewhat debated in natural health care circles. Some say that if the sand or silica is found in a natural source than it is "OK". Others, myself included, say that any substance that will remove buildup from the inside of your stove (baking soda included) shouldn't be used on any bodily surface. Each of the 32 adult human teeth has an inner cavity that houses a blood vessel (making teeth a living tool) as well as a nerve ending. Over that cavity is a porous bone-like cement that holds our teeth in our gum line called dentin. And over the dentin is a strong surface called enamel. When the enamel is thinned and/or begins to weaken and erode from the use of strong abrasives, irritants (like hot or cold temperatures, additives in our food or toothpaste, natural bacteria in our mouth, etc) can invade the inner workings of our teeth causing pain and disease. 

BLECH.

Thus birthed my motivation to get rid of chemicals, artificial sweeteners, and abrasives. What was the first body product to go? Toothpaste. What did I replace it with? Coconut oil. And what does coconut oil do? A whole heck of a lot. 

Its called oil pulling and its an ancient health therapy said to remove toxins from your body through the mouth. Some proponents for oil pulling say you can use any pure oil as long as you use a whole tablespoon of it. What is it and how does it work? Oil pulling is the act of swishing a healthy, pH neutral oil in your mouth and around your teeth. It works because the oil (coconut oil is particularly effective in this) attracts and dissolves the harmful bacteria in your mouth. You know these unfriendly critters exist by the presence of plaque buildup, bad breath, and frequent sinus infections. By "pulling" these toxins out you're providing a clean, bacteria free surface for your saliva (which, according to the US surgeon general, has cavity and invasive bacteria fighting properties) to do its job.

How I do it:
  1. First thing in the morning, when my mouth has that absolutely disgusting flavor and texture (and certainly a horrendous smell). 
  2. Placing about a half teaspoon (what will just sit on the tip of my finger) of 100% pure, unrefined coconut oil in my mouth.
  3. My saliva will begin to dissolve the oil thus creating a mouthful of bacteria-fighting liquid, which I then "swish" back and forth, round and round. I do this for about 10-20 minutes. The longer the better.
  4. DO NOT SWALLOW. If you do, you'll gag and feel really gross.
  5. DO NOT SWALLOW. Well, you might read somewhere that it doesn't matter if you swallow the oil or not since coconut oil is edible.
  6. DO NOT SWALLOW. Remember, the oil is "pulling" out the smelly, toxin riddled bacteria from your teeth, mouth, gums, and nasal cavities. Why would anyone be OK with ingesting that?
  7. Spit into trashcan (the bacteria filled oil can eventually block the pipe in a sink).
  8. Rinse a couple times with warm water.
  9. Brush gently with a soft bristle toothbrush. The plaque and tartar buildup will slide right off.
  10. Rinse a couple more times with warm water.

How has oil pulling benefited me? To start with, the years of using harmful tubed toothpaste 2 to 3 times a day had thinned the enamel of my teeth, and left a seemingly unrelated occasional throbbing pain in my jaw and never resolved cavities in the back of my mouth. After I switched to oil pulling exclusively my teeth have significantly repaired and strengthened its enamel, the pain in my jaw is gone, my cavities are on the road to recovery, my bad breath is gone (no more stinky sneezes),and I now have firmer gums and whiter teeth!

Here's another great website that explains a lot more about the benefits of coconut oil.

The long and short of it: 
* The ingredients used in commercially manufactured toothpaste are more harmful than beneficial for your overall health
* Oil pulling with coconut oil is a natural, chemical-free, economic solution to total mouth health
* I am very passionate about living a cleaner, greener, chemical-free life and that is why this is such a long post. :)

COMING UP  
* More posts on cleaner, greener body products
* Recipes!


2 comments:

  1. Hey! Josh and I just started oil pulling as well- I was wondering if you have tried to make/us WellnessMamas re-mineralizing toothpaste? I'm assuming it would be good to use both- but have not tried to make it yet. Wondering if you have and what you think of it :) Hope you are doing well!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah- That's awesome! I'm glad to hear that someone else is using the oil pulling method. How is it working for you? I haven't tried making any homemade teeth cleansers...yet. I would like to eventually though. I do use a natural teeth cleanser produced by Rose of Sharon Acres http://www.roseofsharonacres.com/tooth_chips___soap_for_teeth. I would like to add a post about it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete