Pages

June 26, 2013

Before You Get Rid of Shampoo...


I started my no poo transformation close to three weeks ago. That means I haven't used any natural oil stripping shampoos and hydration overkill conditioners in my hair. At all. And to be honest, I'm starting to miss it. I really liked not having to think about what I was going to wash my hair with or what the harsh ingredients in my favorite shampoo were doing to the longevity and overall health of my hair. Life was simpler a month ago. It was wash, rinse, repeat. 



But that was what intrigued me about the no poo method. The natural hair care gurus I was paying close attention to were saying that my hair had become shampoo dependent. With the natural oils produced by my scalp (which are actually very healthy for my scalp and hair) being stripped away, my need to shampoo had increased. And I didn't like that! I'm reminded now that it was like receiving the good news of hair care gospel. I was overjoyed that I could have healthy, beautiful hair without shampoo!

Now, I am not going to say that I was duped or had been taught a false gospel. But I was definitely lacking in the discipleship aspect of no poo. I was told lots of vague natural hair care ideas and theories but with little practical, applicable evidence to go off I was kind of on my own to study the things already written and try them out for myself. Here are my 6 tips for all the no poo disciples and would-be converts out there so that you don't have to weed through everything alone.



1. Clarify
It is an important first step no matter which method you choose to go with. Your hair does have residue from old shampoo usage and especially styling product. You really should use a simple clarifying shampoo as sort of the last hoorah before getting rid of chemicals in your hair completely. The cheap one will do. No need to spend a paycheck on something you'll use once. Pass on the rest of the bottle to a friend who wants to go no poo too.



 2. Some Oil Buildup REALLY Should Come Off!
You will, no doubt, come across conflicting information about whether using the basic no poo method of baking soda and vinegar (white distilled or apple cider)  is actually good for your hair or not. The no poo purists who swear by this basic method argue that since the whole basis of going no poo means you only wash your hair 2-3 times a week than the baking soda really can't cause any long term damage. I tried using ONLY baking soda and vinegar. I did not like it. But after switching to a natural low poo (more on this later) I realized that it is still possible to get unnecessary oil buildup that should be removed with an alkaline cleaner like baking soda or borax. So my goal is to once a month use baking soda as a natural clarifying cleaner to keep buildup to a minimum (will update on this in the future).



3. Honey Solves Many Problems
I found out about honey for hair the first time here . Since I have a history of gross itchy, oozy scalp issues I was really excited to include honey into the mix to see what benefits I could gain. I am not 100% sold on using it exclusively, but it is a wonderful treatment for when flakes appear. Its naturally anti-fungal properties are really needed for an itchy scalp, and it made my hair wonderfully soft. I think the article on honey shampoo mentions that raw honey should be used, but I've gleaned information from beekeepers that say if the bottle on the store shelf says 100% honey than that's what it is. Apparently, just because store bought honey is a lighter color does not mean that its hair care properties have changed.



4. Brushes Matter!
I strongly suggest buying a wide tooth comb, if you haven't already, for detangling and using after your shower when your hair is wet and at its weakest. When I wake up with wavy hair (yes, my hair decides daily what its going to be) I like using just a comb. And, yes, a 100% boar bristle brush is a must! There really is nothing like it to distribute those oils through your hair. You may have static-y hair after using it. That's OK; I do too. I simply follow with a light brushing using a styling brush that boasts being static free.



5. Find a Natural "low poo" You Like
The reason I say this is because the no poo method seems to be fixated on just cleaning the scalp. All the treatments and ingredients are applied to the scalp only, kind of leaving the rest of your hair to just deal and make do with being sustained on your scalp oils that are hopefully covering the hair shaft adequately. I think that there should be an emphasis on nourishing your hair as well. Rose of Sharon Acres makes a wonderful goats milk and coconut milk shampoo bar that is oil-based (so its pH balanced), free of chemicals, and contains panthenol (a plant sourced form of vitamin B which is very very good for hair). This natural shampoo bar is a little different to get used to, and seriously need vigorous rinsing. I will often follow it up with an apple cider vinegar rinse over my whole head. I measure out 2 cups of warm water and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into a plastic drinking glass and take it into the shower with me. But it has made my hair full, soft, easy to manage, and frizz free.

6. Find What Works Best For You
No two no poo experiences will be the same. I know it sounds like I just described a high maintenance hair care routine, but I don't wash every day and I like variety. It suits me to go into the kitchen, grab a small plastic bowl and spoon, reach into the pantry and mix together a little something to put in my hair. If you have even an inkling of a desire to end the vicious cycle of shampooing and let your hair be as healthy as it can be, then do it. Don't let words like "transition period", "boar bristle brush", or "poo" throw you off. Try it, and if it doesn't work try something else.

The last little tidbit I'd like to throw in here is that you may learn new things about your priorities and even your hair type through a no poo adventure. I always knew that I had thick hair, but I had no idea the natural texture my hair possessed. It was like I went crazy about the puberty induced greasy hair phenomena and would throw whatever new and improved whatchmacallit in my hair to get rid of the oiliness that I completely missed out on what my hair naturally had to offer.

Don't give up fellow no pooers! Healthy hair is just a couple months of using natural ingredients away!

Tell me about your experience. Ask me any questions. I'd love to hear from you. :)

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! I am vascillating back and forth about going "no-poo" and inreally want to but things like "transition period" make me need a xanax. (I loathe my hair being greasy). This gives me more desire to try it. Also I have a recipe for homemade coconut milk shampoo pinnned (I pinned this too!) I will come back and post a link but I think that would be a great way to be "low-poo"... sorry for rambling. Love this post! (I found it on the no-poo facebook group)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post! Another thought, the texture of my hair since going no poo has not been excessively oily but it has gained a soft, pliable appearance. Sort of like I am using all the right hair styling products without looking like I am using product (if that makes any sense). So, it will be different than what you are used to, but it is in no way a negative difference. At least it hasn't been for me. :) Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. Here's the link:http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/03/homemade-coconut-milk-shampoo.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have come across this on Pinterest as well. Eventually I want to try just about every homemade concoction that is out there and blog about my experience along the way... :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for all the great information! Everyone should at least give this issue a few seconds of attention. Why not try it? Nothing to loose! Might even save you some cents (sense?). Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently started no poo using a honey aloe concoction. Trying to keep my skin healthier as well as my hair since I have terrible body acne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I'd love to try using aloe sometime. Here's my recent post on a healthy skin product that I LOVE: http://myalmostprovinciallife.blogspot.com/2013/06/product-i-love-kinderhaven-farm-goat.html

      Delete